We are an alliance of local organisations and individuals who are pressing for effective action to tackle climate change.
We include Environmental Campaign Groups, Independent Action Groups, Faith Groups, Public Sector Organisations, Charities, Co-operatives, Not for Profit organisations, Political Parties, Green Businesses, Trade Unions and Individuals. We share a strong belief
that tackling climate change is a matter of urgency and that it is necessary to demonstrate that there is a widespread mandate for strategic change in Sheffield and the local region. We support
the national work of the Climate Alliance, (the Alliance for Jobs, Climate and Communities)
. We share their belief that 'national and international political action is required if we are to stop climate change, and that building a national movement cannot just happen from above; there is a need to develop and harness the energies on the ground.
' We are not affiliated
to any political party
To link the huge amount of work that is being done locally on climate change, in order to more effectively and more efficiently communicate the urgency of the need for action.
To ensure that Sheffield Council commits to a credible and realistic plan to ensure that Sheffield and the surrounding area become 'climate neutral' by 2050 in line with the concept of 'one planet living'. This will include strategic plans for reducing activities that directly or indirectly exceed our allocation of the earth's natural resilience and carrying capacity.
Specifically, this should address:
- direct and indirect emissions of carbon equivalent gases;
- direct energy consumption for businesses, homes, and transport and travel;
- indirect impacts of the local economy on global environement eg water usage, deforestation etc..
Outcomes for Sheffield and the surrounding regions should include a healthier population, energy and food security, and a more sustainable economy.
How we do it?
We'll do this by:
- providing a high profile collective identity
- creating a movement of diverse groups, each working in their own way, but also combining forces as a network so that the maximum amount of political pressure can be exerted to bring about the changes needed if runaway climate change is to be averted.
- providing a communication hub between organisations so we can build on the efforts of any individual organisation.
- providing a forum for discussion
- facilitating collective lobbying to support and/or challenge local policies
- acting as a catalyst for action
- supporting co-organisation of events
How can you help?
Help us by:
- Joining the alliance either as an individual or organisation
- Asking for help for your organisation
- Offering help to the alliance or member organisations
- Sharing information with other members