New Stories of Change and Action
We are hearing more and more stories of how communities around the world are responding to climate change, so we’ve collected a few of these here for you. Don’t forget it’s not too late to submit your own ‘climate story’ – we have extended the deadline for our photo-story competition!
1. This is a story told by activist, Crystal Lameman, from the the Beaver Lake Cree.
“In my home, the Beaver Lake Cree Nation, treaty six territory in Alberta, Canada, I am part of a community of 900 Woodland Cree people who have walked the land for thousands of years. Oil spills are threatening our way of life. But indigenous people – with help from the international climate movement – can curtail the industry’s expansion.”
2. A story told by Adrian Burragubba from Queensland. The Wangan and Jagalingou people, who have a native title claim to over 30,000 sq km of central Queensland, have lodged a legal bid to overturn a decision that clears the way for the $16.5bn Carmichael mine, overseen by Indian mining firm Adani. There is a fabulous video embedded in this article, of Adrian telling his own story.
3. There are the personal stories here of 10 young activists from all over the world. Each piece is just a paragraph but fabulous stories.
4. Amitav Ghosh is a Bengali novelist living in the Bay of Bengal and here are his reflections on the changes to the Bay of Bengal that he is observing.
5. Philippine rap artist, Katrina Pestaño is running the mic. “Hollow, my bones will carry, rebellion like the rain,” her rap begins. Head raised, chest out, eyes squeezed tight, her momentum builds. “I am that ancient rhythm, the heat of the sun.” She drops her face and opens her eyes to take in the crowd of protesters who gathered last weekend to block the road to Terminal 5 at the Port of Seattle. A broad smile takes over her face. “When all is said and done, I am the will to carry on!” Read more.
6. This is the story of 14 year old Xiuhtlezcatl Roske-Martinez, who has been a climate activist since he was 6 years old. he leads a young people’s group and has filed a case against the State of Colorado seeking a moratorium on fracking. It is a brilliant and inspiring video story.
If you enjoyed these stories, please pass them on to your friends!