Sign our South Yorkshire Pension Authority petition to divest from fossil fuels
We’ve been busy over the last few months building our divestment campaign. If you’re a member of the Local Government Pension Fund in South Yorkshire please sign our petition on 350.org and get your voice heard. Together we can influence the Authority to take action.
We’ve most recently honed our objectives so we’re really clear about what we’d like to see the South Yorkshire Pension Authority (SYPA) do.
In a nutshell, we believe SYPA should divest and re-invest. Our objectives are that SYPA should:
- immediately freeze any new investment in the top 200 publicly-traded fossil fuel companies
- get out of coal investments by the end of October 2016;
- research and publish a carbon audit of their complete investment portfolio by the end of March 2016;
- agree targets for reducing the carbon intensity of the SYPA portfolio; publish the targets, an associated action plan and progress reports, starting October 2016;
- divest from direct ownership and any commingled funds that include fossil fuel public equities and corporate bonds, within 5 years ie by Oct 2020.
- refocus SYPA’s “Alternatives Portfolio” to exploit renewable energy and other low carbon opportunities by the end of March 2016
- review the contents of the Mini-Stern Review for the Sheffield City Region, and support its recommendations through investment, starting October 2016.
Don’t forget, if you’re a member of the Local Government Pension Fund in South Yorkshire (yes, that’s Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and Sheffield!) please sign our petition on 350.org and get your voice heard. Together we can influence the Authority to take action.
If you have any questions or suggestions of places to visit with our Divestment Campaign stand such as Council buildings in South Yorkshire, please contact us. We’d love to hear from you. You can find us on Facebook and Twitter and sign up for our newsletters too.