Friends of the Earth divestment briefing
Friends of the Earth have recently updated their divestment briefing to include the fantastic things that have happened during the last 12 months such as Waltham Forest and Southwark pension funds commitment to divest. The briefing is divided into 5 areas (see below), clearly setting out the arguments for divestment and giving sensible advice regarding alternative investment strategies and how to link shareholder engagement with divestment to make it a much more powerful tool.
1) The ethical arguments for divestment
2) The financial reasons for divestment
3) The practicalities – who is divesting?
4) The practicalities – what can local authorities invest in instead?
5) How to respond to authorities who want to “engage” with fossil fuel companies instead of divesting.
The briefing can be read here