On the 29th November, students will once again take to the streets to demand climate action. We are waking up to a reality where we can no longer choose to ignore this issue: we must stand together and fight for our future or face an uninhabitable planet. Globally the aim is to put pressure on the climate talks happening for COP25. It is another chance for Trade Unionists and others in the city to show them real support. We all know there IS a climate emergency. Trade Unionists know there is need of a real transformation in our society to achieve a carbon-free economy – one that provides good jobs and a fairer, sustainable future for all of us.
We are asking trade union branches to email their members. Please start to get your branch involved, even if it is just by sending a message of support. Climate change isn’t just an issue for climate activists and politicians – workers need to be at the forefront of the campaign for a just transition!
Day of Action on Friday 29th November.
On the day of the #YouthStrike4Climate, the school students will be having a march and rally and have asked trade unions to join them with their banners, including University UCU members who will also be striking on the day. Sheffield TUC will be there, and several union branches have already pledged support. Can your branch send a delegation with your branch banner? The plan for the day is:
- Assemble Devonshire Green from 11.30-12.30pm
- March to City Hall – 12.30pm to 1pm
- Rally at City Hall – 1pm (many union branches are coming in their lunch hour to the City Hall rally).
Sheffield TUC is asking union branches to do one or more of the following:
- Send messages of support/solidarity to the YS4C schools students – post on Sheffield Global Climate Strike Facebook Page which you can find here (If you do not have Facebook, send messages via the STUC email – firstname.lastname@example.org). These will be read out at the rally.
- Take a photo of your union reps/members holding up messages of support for the 29th November
- Let STUC/YS4C know what you are planning for the day – if your branch will be joining them on the march/at the rally during lunch breaks – bringing your banners etc.
- Can Union branches, community and campaign groups please write to the Star to let them know they will be joining the students and why etc.
- If your branch is able to make a small donation towards the cost of the rally and march, then please contact Sheffield TUC (see below)
The organisation for the days action (leaflets, PA systems and room bookings for public organising meetings) has created a cost. The school students are unable for obvious reasons to pay for these outgoing costs. Therefore we are hoping that your union branch, community or campaign group is able to make a small donation towards the cost of the march and rally. We are using the Sheffield TUC bank account to collect and forward on donations.. You can pay online as follows:
Online payment: name of account Sheffield Trade Union Council
· Sort code – 60 83 01
· Account 59109499
· Title the payment – YS4C
Please then email email@example.com to let us know! If you cannot pay online, we can accept cheques paid out to ‘Sheffield Trade Union Council’
o Write ‘YS4C’ on the back of the cheque
o Send to: Sheffield Trade Union Council, Trades and Labour Club, Duke St, Sheffield, S2 5QQ
Thanks for your support!